Monday, April 25, 2011

In his element.

As a Mother, I have many times written about how I didn't know how much I was really meant to be a parent until I actually became one. I've written about how I feel like this is what I'm supposed to be doing, and that it has put me exactly where I feel that I need to be. I've written about how I am just so in my element while doing this whole parenting thing.

But never ever have I told you just how well it suits my husband.
Don't get me wrong, I've always loved Toby for exactly who he is. He's kind of goofy, and he has a sarcastic sense of humor. Sometimes, if you don't know him, you might think that his humor is kind of mean. But, he doesn't intend it to be so. He's outgoing, and talkative, and easily excitable. He gets really wrapped up in his super duper awesome ideas and plans and tells me about them for days. He worries about his hair a lot. He's anal about his clothing. He demands nice socks and he wears the same pajama pants for far too long.

But he's my Toby, and I love him. Fiercely.

But enough about what I think about him, and more about he and Ian's relationship.

I never doubted Toby's parenting abilities before we had Ian, but I never knew just how wonderful he would be. From the day Ian was born, he was wrapped around his finger. He fell in love with him even faster than I did. He snuggled him up on his chest while we were in the hospital, and he stroked his little head. He kissed him a thousand times.

And then we came home. He fed him lovingly, changed his diapers
, gave him baths, and held him for hours and hours.

And then Ian grew bigger and bigger. And he taught him how to throw balls, and took him outside to play, and taught him about important things like which foods are good and which ones aren't.

But mostly, I just can't believe how wonderful he is. He is so naturally involved with Ian. He texts me and tells me how much he misses him while he is at work. He devotes time to him even when he is stressed to the max, and he never lets the stress get in the way of just being in the moment and playing with his son, which is something that I could learn from him. He's such a loving and caring father. He isn't the strong and silent type. He regularly tells Ian about how special he is to him, and about how much he loves him. He cuddles him, and tucks him into bed. He's everything I could have ever hoped for for my children, and so much more. He really enjoys being Ian's Dad every minute of every day.
And Ian gives him such drive and motivation. He always had hopes and dreams, but it wasn't until Ian came along that he truly found that he wanted to work for them in all of the right ways. He has accomplished more both personally and professionally in the 20 months since Ian's birth than in the rest of his life.

Fatherhood simply suits him. It looks good on him. It's kindasorta awesome.

Toby used to be "afraid" of tiny babies. He never wanted to hold them because he was nervous that he would hurt them or something. Today, he reached over and took a teeny-tiny 5 week old little boy out of my hands.

And now, he's coming down the hall after putting the boy to bed. He's been laying in his toddler bed with him, getting him to settle down.

//melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment