Saturday, August 14, 2010

Our last day as childless people.

I will never forget the day that I took this photograph of Toby.

In my mind it feels like it was the last thing that we ever did when we were just us, not a family.

We were at our favorite coffee shop on a thursday afternoon. I was huge, and quite uncomfortable. I was wearing my grey maternity dress, since it was the only thing that still fit me that I looked halfway presentable in. We were so happy. Toby had a caramel apple frozen latte, and I had a German Chocolate iced coffee. I remember thinking that my blood sugar was going to pay the price...but I had been craving it for so long, so I splurged. We sat in the middle room of the coffee shop, at the little white wooden table by the window. I watched the cars go by. I remember laughing, a lot. I remember being madly in love. I remember telling the woman behind the counter that we would have a baby by the end of the weekend. But mostly I remember knowing with all of my heart that those were our last moments to ourselves. Our last moments to just be with each other before we took on the responsibilty of another life. I was so excited to meet Ian, but I wanted to cherish those last moments. The very moment I took that picture my heart was ready to explode with love... I was just so madly. deeply. insanely, in love with my husband. He had just got those new glasses, and I thought he looked so sexy in that nerdy sort of way. I remember looking at his smile and thinking that he was going to be the best dad in the whole wide world.

I am so glad that we have the beautiful family that we have today. But I will always cherish that moment.

1 comment: