Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How did we get here so quickly?

My son turned 18 months today.

Yep. 18 months. A full one year plus another half of one.

I know that 18 months doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but this is the point where I thought I would never be. I remember when I was pregnant, and right after I had Ian, I would hear people talking about their 18 month olds, and I would see 18 month sized clothes and I would always think to myself "That is sooo far away for us. I don't even have to think about him being 18 months for a very very long time".

Ha. Little did I know.

I could always picture him reaching his first six months, taking his first steps, saying his first words, and celebrating his 1st birthday...but I could not, for the life of me, picture my little man being 18 months old. I guess it was a mental roadblock. But now, alas, we are here.

To be honest, I love where Ian is right now. Now that he is older, we are finally falling into a solid routine. I'm comfortable with him, and he's comfortable with me. We both know (generally) how the day is going to play out. I know when he's going to get sleepy and when he is going to wake up. I know what he will want to eat for lunch, and when he will take him bath. There is just so much more consistency from day to day, which leaves more time to sit back and just enjoy this time. I'm learning how to take a step back and truely enjoy and savor everyday with him now. I've finally seen how quickly it all flys by. How many phases, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, but mostly moments that we will never get back. And I'm determined to make the very most of each and every one of those moments. I never want to look back and feel like I missed out on any of the fun times I could have been with Ian, or any of the amazing times that I could have watched him grow and develop.

My little boy is 18 months today, and he's not so little anymore. I look back at older pictures and it shows me just how far he has come. He isn't a baby anymore. The baby phase goes by so very quickly. He's a toddler, a kid. Toby and I hover over his 1st year shutterfly book in amazement at how much he's grown and changed right before our eyes. We couldn't be more proud of him, amazed by him, and in love with him than we are right now.

Happy 18 months Booger-Bean. Mommy and Daddy love you more than you will ever know.
A few pictures of Ian on his 18 month day!

No comments:

Post a Comment